Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sunrises, sunsets and oceans

Almost every morning early and evening just before the sun goes down I go down to the beach with my camera - about a 5 minute walk. I go for two reasons: first to make some photos - of sunrises and sunsets and for the light just after sunrise and before sunset which is usually best for interesting highlights and shadows.
I have posted several photos of light and shadows and various patterns on the sand and water and a few of sunrises and sunsets mixed in with other photos. Here are a few more of my favourites.
This is a sunset reflection on the sand.

We are on the top floor of the Clube Oceano and this was taken looking up from our balcony.
Setting sunlight on the clouds at the end of a stormy day.


But I also go to the beach to watch and listen to the water constantly moving and rolling waves crashing and "thundering" on the rocks and sand - the "living and breathing" ocean - and to try to figure out why it attracts. I guess, as I think about it...awesome is the word that comes to mind - in every way; power, apparent endlessness, beauty, peace, anger, melancholy, frightening, diverse, constantly moving and constantly changing and I guess that's why we love to walk beside it!

1 comment:

  1. The pictures of sunrises and sunsets are spectacular. My favourite is the third picture, looks very blue with fabulous shadows on the beach. Hard to tell where the sky ends and the beach begins. Art in nature, wonderful.

    Priscilla

    ReplyDelete