Monday, March 18, 2013

More Alcazar


I mentioned in the earlier post on Seville that a few more photos of the Alcazar might surface at some point and so they have.

As before, I won't necessarily identify the location of the image in the palace, though in a couple of instances I have.

This, for example, is in the Salon de Embajadores, the Ambassadors Room.
And I have included photos of styles that are not from the Arab/Moorish style (though for me they are the most interesting) to show something of the diversity of architecture that has been added over the centuries.

As I am uncertain of which reflects which style, I leave that for those of you who are more knowledgeable than I about architectural periods/styles.
This is the Patio de las Doncellas - Doncellas refers "maidens". The story is that the Sultan or whoever ruled at the time, demanded a certain number of maidens be contributed from the community to the palace and this is where they lived and lounged.




The image here is the Palacio del Rey Dom Pedro or King Peter, who, it is said preferred to be referred to as Sultan.



Another reflecting pool.



One of the many exquisite ceilings.

We are currently on our trip to Granada where we will have a chance to visit the Alhambra. Our guide on this trip has told me that, while the Alcazar is very beautiful, what we see there today was built, not by the Moors but, by the Christians after they drove the Moors out of the Iberian peninsula. The Alhambra, in contrast, was actually built be the Moors during the period in which they ruled this area. As I mentioned earlier, there are a number of interpretations of the history of the Alcazar, so which is true is not obvious. Whatever is correct, the Alcazar is still an amazing place and worth visiting when you are next in Sevilla!

No comments:

Post a Comment